Friday, February 4, 2011

Fake it to you Make it

So, as I'm gearing up to eat Vegan for a week starting Sunday I'm finding that I don't really have to talk it up.  I'm finding it really interesting to take on this task.  I'll be trying new things to eat I'll be eating fresh fruits and veggies and I'll have to be forced to look at what I'm putting into my body.  Do you know how much stuff is made with meat or meat by products?  And since it's Vegan I can't have any eggs or dairy. So today I went to the section of Publix, you know the one way back in the corner, next to the emergency door?  And stood for a good 15 minutes reading the labels.  Trying to figure out if I can really fix the tofu that I picked up.  Plus side for me it was on sale.  Two for 5 bucks.  Lucky me.  Then I noticed some "hotdogs" and picked those up to. I mean anything is an upgrade from the regular hotdogs anyway. At least when I read the ingredients I could pronounce them all and knew it wasn't mystery meat.  I got those and figured if I get a hankering for a hotdog I can just eat the soy, wheat thing that looks like a hotdog.  Great! I also picked up some tofu noodles that looked promising.  I can always go back later and pick up that veggie burger I picked up and then promptly put down.  There were also some tofu "hamburger" crumbles that I could use for tacos or chili.  I also put those down.  What can I say there is really no substitute for beef.
I really am excited to at least try the Vegan lifestyle.  It's giving me a chance to change the way I cook.  I may even try Vegan baking.  I've made some healthier baking options lately and was surprised that I can make a cake without all the sugar and enriched flour. I have put some Vegan baking books on hold at the library so I'll let you know how it turns out.
I hope everyone has a great weekend!
As always...thanks for following...

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you! You go girl....I love this curry eggplant, green peas, potatoes dish. Keep it going. Love you! Tish

    ReplyDelete